10 Ways Hairstylists Can Protect Their Mental Health During the Lockdown
What happens when you want to work on your business, but the weight of Coronavirus has you too down to even get started?
Yesterday, I was a guest on a Webinar for ANHC Pro (The Association of Natural Hair Care), entitled, 'What's Your Profit Plan? How to Survive Now and Thrive Later'. On it I shared a ton of ways to use the time that we have now, as most of us Beauty Pros are on 'lockdown'. At the end, I took Q&A and one of the questions was so profound, and something that I've had on my mind. I probably shared too much, but it is very real. She stated, that there were some things that she wanted to work on in her business, but she was basically too sad and down to even get started. What would I suggest?
As I shared, I can totally relate. This time in history is unprecedented. We have no guidebook for how to get through a global pandemic. There are daily, make that hourly, even minute by minute reports on how many people have been diagnosed with COVID-19, how many people have died and how the economy is suffering as a result. We may know people who have tested positive for the virus, and are living with updates on their very slow progress to survive. We may know people who have not survived. I've experienced both of those scenarios. We may be wondering how we're going to pay our bills, feed our children, etc. We may be frustrated with waiting for government assistance. But doing our best to protect our mental health is critical at this time.
Here are 10 ways to set yourself up for success daily.
My best suggestion is to begin to focus on the things that you can control. Right now, that may seem like a very short list. But I encourage you to become aware of your thoughts and ask yourself, is this something that I can control? If not, consider replacing it with a thought about something that you do want in your life. Someone suggested it's 'positive thinking'. What I'm suggesting is actually a little different. Scientists have proven that what we focus on grows. This is being intentional about what we want to focus on, rather than letting every random thought take our emotions on a rollercoaster, or worse yet, into a downward spiral.
Here are my Top 10:
1. Stop and take a deep breath. Inhale 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds then exhale for 8 seconds. It will bring you back to the present and slow your heart rate. Of course, Prayer and Meditation are close cousins of deep breathing and can do wonders, whether in combination or by themselves.
2. Move your body. Go for a walk, dance, run, do a few jumping jacks. Movement can change your state.
3. Listen to Affirmations each morning. Start to program your mind to expect good things.
4. Listen to motivational messages, your favorite spiritual leader or something that you find empowering, each morning.
5. Spend some time in nature (while Social Distancing). Sit on your balcony, drive to listen to water or simply go for a walk.
6. Decide on your ‘theme song’. What song comes on and you can’t help but smile? You start dancing? You feel like you're in the movie 'Rocky' running up the steps in Philadelphia? Play whatever that song is for you, at least once a day.
7. Journal. Write what’s on your mind with a pen and paper. Set a timer for 10-20 minutes and just write down whatever random thoughts come to your mind, but don’t let your pen leave the paper. It doesn’t have to make sense or connect to the last thought. It’s a good brain dump, or release valve, and may even get to the root of what’s on your mind.
8. Honor your feelings. They are there for a reason. Just be with them, you don’t have to do anything with them and remember, those feelings won’t last forever. And there's sometimes nothing better than a good cleansing cry!
9. Take a nap. Take the day off, binge watch TV, read a book. Sometimes you can’t get up because you’re actually tired. Take this time to rest your mind, body and spirit.
10. Reduce your news and Social Media time, it may be bringing you down more than you realize.
P.S. If you feel like you may actually be depressed, don’t be afraid to reach out for help. There are resources available.
Feel free to share this with anyone it may help! We are in this together.
To your success,
P.S. If you'd like to watch a replay of the What's Your Profit Plan Webinar, visit the ANHC Pro website and register (it's mid page on the Webinar Listing page and the listed as the 2nd one on April 24th). You don't have to be a member to watch it, but if you're a Natural Hair Stylist, I'd highly encourage you to join!
If your Salon Business is struggling, Miki Wright, is former Hair Stylist and an experienced Salon Business Coach who offers online classes for Hairstylists and Salon Owners, as well as Private Coaching, that will help you quickly build a solid clientele, create predictable income and boost your Salon’s profits.